Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Dems-good-oats

I've always loved oats. In fact, I just finished a heaping bowl of oatmeal and I feel toasty, cozy, and good. Since I was a child my mother would cook oatmeal and cream of wheat for me. A bit of sugar, cream, and butter and before you is steamy goodness. I know many people who do not like oats, but I don't get it. But my most recent bowl (about 2 minutes ago) sent me on a quest to answer the following question: what is the difference between traditional and instant oats? My oaty friends tend to gravitate toward the instant variety, but I've always been a traditional kind of guy, nothing too fancy for me. It turns out that instant oats are better for cookies because they do not take as long to cook, but otherwise are inferior. They are cut up, thin, and not as chewy as the traditional oats. I don't believe they are any less nutritious (especially if prepared without the additives I mentioned above), but you are cheating yourself by gulping down a mushy mash. Non-instant, rolled oats are much more flavorful than instant oats and they have a delightful texture. Instant oats do take about 30 seconds to make (just add microwaved or boiling water) while traditional oats take about 5 minutes to prepare. But trust me, that additional 4 and a half minutes is worth every second when it comes time to chow down.

Up Oats!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you had a serious test or something special going on that day you would make a special 'request' for oats. Oats have always been a comfort food for me and it sounds like you too have a special place at the heart of your table for oats. I always loved making them for you.