Thursday, September 27, 2007

Under the Knife

It was recently pointed out to me by my lovely cello teacher that the bridge on my instrument was warped and was probably affecting the sound quality. For those of you who don't know, the bridge looks like this

My bridge, instead of standing perpendicular to the top of the instrument, was taking on a sort of parenthesis shape. For those of you who don't know, a parenthesis looks like this

(

Anyway, so I took the cello into the shop today to get it repaired. Unbeknownst to me, this is a major repair since it requires cutting a new bridge to exactly fit the instrument. So the cello is having an operation. The violin repairman must also get into the guts and adjust the sound post. The sound post is a cylinder that is situated under the bridge inside the cello. It provides structural support and aids in sound production. For those of you who don't know, a sound post looks like this (in a violin, but the idea is the same for the cello)




Well, It turns out that this little procedure costs about $220. Pretty awesome. Anyway, Matt, there has been little to report, so sorry if this post bored you.

Oh, I did manage to predict the bottom three in last night's episode of America's Next Top Model as well as the big loser for the night (whom I picked as the loser for this week last week when I first saw her)

1 comment:

Matthew D Dunn said...

I really just wanted your next top model picks. So, thanks. But I'm also happy to learn about parentheses.