Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Back?

Following a positive example, I have elected to deactivate my Facebook account. No, I have no profound reason for this, and no it wasn't internet drama that pushed me to amputate one of my digital limbs. I found myself asking myself "why do I have this [FB]?" too often. Finally, I practiced what I preach every semester in my Intro to Logic class and I thought seriously about the expected utility of having Facebook versus not having it, and not having it clearly won. I've no specific beef with social networking (after all, this blog is one form of that), but if you don't know why you've elected to bring some influence into your life, then chances are you don't need it and you may very well be better off without it. This is an experiment. I may decide to reactivate, but a week on the wagon and I've yet to be tempted. I am hoping that my productivity will go up as I have plugged one significant time-sink, and perhaps I will become more focused on managing my own business instead of being so concerned with so-and-so's latest status update and additions to one's photo album.

Life is good these days, relatively speaking. Yes, reading the news is soul-crushing, and following the GOP race makes me angry for yet unactualized possibilities, but taking the liberty to be a little self-consumed and evaluate life within my own sphere of influence, I can say that I'm currently content. Between achieving some level of security with my job and the introduction of new positive influences, the outlook is guardedly optimistic. Tyson and I may end up returning to Georgia together after all (though this may come at the cost of another summer with my summer teaching job). This was yesterday's big news. As with every summer, we are waiting to see what happens with his summer funding/opportunities and it may yet not work out (as it typically does not), in which case this cowboy may go it alone in that most wild of places, the Caucasus.

Spring is not far, which means more unethical grilling. For now I post a picture of my feast last night: kimchi fried rice with mushrooms served between caramelized Brussels sprouts and a beaten, fried egg.



1 comment:

Tyson Sadleir said...

It is kinda nice not having FB, isn't it? Liberating. Well, I know I'm dzaan unreliable with our summer trips, but I'd really like to go back to Georgia with you. I've got a feeling it would be an incredible journey.