Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Perfect Garden Exists in my Backyard, Necessarily

Here is my a priori argument for the claim that I will have perfect tomatoes in my garden. I encourage you to scrutinize my argument since it is of utmost importance that my yield be bountiful:

1. I have an idea of a perfect tomato crop in my backyard.
2. A perfect being can lack no perfection
3. Existence is a perfection.
________________

Therefore, a perfect being cannot lack existence, the perfect tomato garden in my backyard must exist

or

1. I have an idea of a perfect tomato crop in my backyard.
2. It is manifest by the natural light of reason that there must be at least as much reality in the efficient and total cause as in the effect of that cause (third meditation).
3. I doubt, doubt is an imperfection, therefore I am imperfect (grant for the sake of argument. I know many of you will disagree with the conclusion of this premise out and out).
4. I cannot have created my idea of a perfect tomato crop in my backyard [2,3]
5. My idea of a perfect tomato crop in my backyard must have been created from a perfect tomato crop in my backyard [2].
________________________________________
Therefore, a perfect tomato crop in my backyard must exist.

Of course, both arguments are predicated on my existence, but I clearly and distinctly perceive that I exist. After all, I am a thinking thing, and no thinking thing can fail to exist anymore than an existing thing can fail to have extension.

No comments: