Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Planes, trains, and bikes

I'm now in Amsterdam. Sebastian is serving 10 days. I love it here. I work so much I have to force myself away from the office long enough to eat. The weather is dreary, but I love even that. Today I walked to work (15 min.) in the rain and didn't bitch to myself one bit.

The plane trip was nice. My flight was delayed in Ohio, but that just made for a shorter layover in New Jersey. When I got on the flight, I was sat next to a very hip looking young lady, but I pretty much kept to myself for the first hour. I was next to the alcove where the flight attendants hang out. What a gossipy bunch! I had no idea that they were real people. I always figured them to be robots like your humble narrator. Finally, I remarked that they were a chatty bunch and 6 hours of conversation began. Turns out Dawn is a tour manager for a band, lives in Jersey, and is contemplating a move to CA. She has good taste in music (i.e., likes skinny puppy and old industrial) and was a loquacious, but extremely pleasant flight companion. Her band is on a european tour right now. Anyway, we took probably 10 pictures, but she only approved one of them (the other she took of my orange juice, and didn't undergo peer review). I've posted them below. When we landed and people stood up, a meaty man in front of us mumbled "$500 for a ticket and they couldn't shut up." I guess you're not allowed to talk on flights that cost more than a certain threshold. He was probably just pissed because he was sitting next to a tight-lipped Dutch lady and because of his awful Syracuse University sweatshirt (though I doubt he was ever a student there). It seems that most of the times I fly I get very unlucky in spinning the wheel of freaks and land an elderly woman with too much perfume, or a business man with too much cologne, or a person of considerable size who helps himself to the inner sanctuary of my personal bubble, or I get a whole row to myself (which is not that bad). I don't usually lament not having anyone to talk to, but I had a good time on the trip.

I'm going to try to remember to take more pictures while I am here.

No comments: