Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Think psychometrics is hard? Try doing it in a well.

Another typo recently came to my attention after the application went out. This cover letter was to a university that wanted someone who seriously engages with the relevant science.

Version 1: In order to do this research in an intellectually responsible manner, one must seriously engage with the relevant science.

I didn't like this version since it might have made my work seem more controversial than I'd like for it to seem.

Version 2 (intended): In order to do this research well, one must seriously engage with the relevant science.

Carelessly, I did not delete all the words necessary to make the revision.

Version 2 (actual): In order to do this research in an well, one must seriously engage with the relevant science.

Message conveyed by Version 2 (actual): Either this guy wishes never to work with others in the field (he prefers the isolation that one might find in a well), or this guy surely can't write philosophy if he can't even write a simple cover letter.

In other news, I added UC Davis, Carleton College, and UCLA to my list of schools.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahahaha. That's hilarious. :)