Sunday, February 17, 2008

Amused

A night of youtubing obsessing over Placebo's Brian Molko and Muse.

I don't know who I want to be more: Brian Molko or Christian Bale.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of an intense fixation on the band Muse. iTunes was just awarded 5 bucks of my hard earned cash for giving me the following amazing tracks:

1. Hysteria
2. New Born
3. Bliss
4. Time is Running Out
5. Knights of Cydonia.

I recommend checking out these videos on youtube. Matt, I don't recommend you check them out since you're sure to hate them. However, I'm posting the video for Knights of Cydonia since it is so freaking awesome. Matt, I recommend muting the music and playing some Johnny Cash since I'm sure you'll like the video even if you hate the song.

Tomorrow I head up to Amsterdam to work for the day. No news. Tilburg sucks. Boring weekend, though I did go to a nice party on Thursday and got to meet some new people including Alex, an Estonian Mastersuperstar. That is his new name as far as I'm concerned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian: it's "I don't know who I more want to be" or "who I want to be more." "Be" as a linking verb takes the equivalent of the nominative case on both sides -- "I want to be he," though awkward, is correct. As is, "If he were I, he would..." or "That's who I am." Not "that's who is me." Now if it were in a relative clause, such as "He gave it to the next person, whom, coincidentally, was me," you would be correct in using a d.o. or i.o. pronoun. So suri (as in darling daughter of Cruise Missile).

Brian said...

I believe that pronouns following linking verb take the *subjective* case (to be contrasted with the *objective* case, which is basically a collapsed accusative and dative cases). However, I agree with your point. It was the dulling effects of the wine on my inhibitions combined with the culturally instilled tendency to say "I want to be him," that led to the error.


I'm not so sure about the last example you gave:

He gave it to the next person, whom, coincidentally, was me.

'whom', being the subject of 'was', should be 'who', and, thus, 'me', being related by a linking verb, should be 'I'. In other words, 'whom' is not the object of the preposition; the entire phrase 'whom...was me' is the object of the preposition.

Should it not read:

He gave it to the next person, who, coincidentally, was I.

I direct you to the following site where I read about this:

http://web.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html

Look near the bottom just above the heading "Three easy-to-use rules..."